Tuesday, November 4, 2014

#IWSG - Insecurity, How I Love Thee #WritersLife BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! #Publishing



The Insecure Writer's Support Group - where we can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak.

Join us the first Wednesday of every month! Click on the button to learn more.


~~0Oo~~~


You'd think that after a certain amount of accomplishments that an author wouldn't feel insecure. You'd think that after numerous rejections and acceptances alike that a writer would be able to hit the 'submit' button on their newest baby and be able to relax while waiting.

Waiting.

The hardest part. Wondering what the acquisitions editor thinks of the story. Will it get beyond his / her inbox - make it through the slush pile?

We start questioning the plot. The characters. We come up with a scene that NEEDED to be included to better drive the story forward. We feel the arc isn't arc-ish enough. The climax sucks. 

Am I alone here?

My alter ego, Lynn Burke, author of (spicy) contemporary romance, sent out her first submission last week. I started biting my nails. Literally. Haven't done that in ages. 

This was my first head-long dive into a new genre, and I was / am scared sh*%-less. All those doubts above flitted around every hour of the day. Talk about annoying.

But then...



The acquisitions editor 'loved' my story. I was offered a contract. It's been signed.

I'm proud to announce that Susceptible to Him, a Risso Family Novella, will be published in February 2015 with Evernight Publishing!

The Risso Family Novellas follow four siblings from Boston's north end, and their desires to find - or avoid - love and all its complications.

I hope you'll follow along! Find Lynn (ME!) on her websiteFacebookTwitter, and Goodreads.

Perhaps next time I send something out, the fingernails will make it through the night.

Doubtful.

~~~oOo~~~
                                                                  

How do YOU pass the time waiting for that rejection / acceptance? Nervous? Confidant? Hope for the best or expect the worst?


15 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Terri!
    I hate thinking of all the stuff I should've done after I send in my manuscript...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HATE it. Happens every single time, too. LOVE the new banner on your blog, btw. Forgot to mention it when I stopped by this morning.

      Delete
  2. I think waiting to hear back from an editor/agent will always be the hardest part. But CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thrilled for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I think all the fingernail biting was worth it, don't you? They'll always grow back, right? Yes, I think we all have those moments, they just don't always end as happily as yours! Here's to us being able to follow your example!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em - Thank you!!

    Chrys - YES!!! Thank you so much. :)

    Lisa - it is, but my poor finger nails! LOL! Not all mine have ended this happily. Got lucky this time around. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah--success! How wonderful that must be. I haven't been fortunate enough to be in that particular waiting game, but I wonder if I might be fine with waiting because you don't actually have to do anything at that point. It's all out of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara - it's tough to focus on the next project while waiting, trust me!! And one of my favorite lines just for you...

      "There's an English word for a beginning writer who never gives up. Published." - J. Konrath

      Delete
  6. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo! Congratulations are in order, Terri. You got this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SK - Thank you!

    Michelle - I can TRY to get you an arc for review if you want. ;)

    David - Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!

    I embrace multigenre writing. I read in multiple genres so I don't know why I'd limit myself to just writing in one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Enjoy tis moment.

    ReplyDelete